“Nature does not take revenge, it reacts, in the sense that we lead it to these violent reactions. We have suffered enormous damages, but we cannot continue exploiting nature, we must protect it”.
On 2nd October, in Biella, incessant rain transformed the river Cervo to the point when the force of the water swept away the Hydro space, the Terme Culturali and part of Accademia Unidee’s classrooms. In the course of a single night, Cittadellarte lost 1300 sqm of exhibition, performance, rehearsal and storage space. The 19th-century structure housing Michelangelo Pistoletto’s works and the Arte Povera collection has so far withstood the hit, but it absolutely needs extremely urgent works of protection and strengthening. Fondazione Pistoletto has set up the campaign Protect Cittadellarte on the Derev platform to raise funds to contribute to the costs of the reconstruction.
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE THE CAMPAIGN PAGE AND DONATE.
Here’s below how the fund raising was presented:
‘Protect Cittadellarte’: phase 1
“We urgently need to build an embankment of reinforced concrete (estimated cost 800.000€. Phase 1: 150.000 €)”
The collapse has left exposed the foundations of the 19th-century building constituting the core of Cittadellarte, the non-profit organization Michelangelo Pistoletto created in Biella in the 1990s.
To prevent further collapses or structural damages, we urgently need to proceed with phase 1: the shielding of the foundations in view of autumn’s and winter’s rains.
Why protect Cittadellarte
Cittadellarte is the cradle of the myth of the Third Paradise: a harmony between man and nature, between technology and environment, between human intelligence and the planetary ecosystem.
Cittadellarte is home and point of reference to thousands of organizations and communities all over the world: a school of sustainability where to learn and make peace with the planet, and become protagonists of a responsible change in society.
“Help us protect this home and rebuild what’s been destroyed – we read on the campaign page – let’s rebuild the exhibition spaces swept away and the Terme Culturali, an immersive curative experience of creative and cultural faculties and sensibilities. Let’s rebuild the classrooms of Accademia Unidee of the Third Paradise, teaching the art of sustainability and responsibility in the fields of design, fashion and new media. Let’s rebuild youths’ meeting places, so that they can participate in the Third Paradise starting from the Biellese territory with Better Places’ Hydro space”.
The campaign page illustrates the objectives to accomplish in phase 1:
– making the bed of the river accessible to the mechanical machinery necessary to remove the debris and demolish the ruins, which represent a danger to people and buildings;
– proceeding with removals and demolitions;
– strengthening the buildings adjacent to the ones collapsed operating on their critical points and making them safe;
– building a reinforced concrete wall.
Risks and critical issues:
– the major risk is represented by the possibility that further rain might damage the buildings still intact;
– we also need to prevent negative impacts on Cittadellarte’s programme of operations, and in particular on the educational and visitors’ services based in the main building of the Foundation;
– the main issues affecting the protection and rebuilding works are represented by bureaucracy possibly slowing down the process, since it will involve many different public offices. Furthermore, the works are undoubtedly complex from engineering and hydrological points of view. In this regard, the Foundation relies on the collaboration of highly experienced consultants from the relative fields. The state of development of the project and of the works will be shared on our website to allow anybody joining us in this reconstruction effort to follow the rebuilding site step by step.
Anybody can support the initiative by donating by credit card or bank transfer, and supporters giving at least 10 euros will be mentioned on a dedicated page on Cittadellarte’s website. Those who will offer a more substantial contribution will also be rewarded with a few goodies: who donates 200 euros will receive a ‘base kit’ consisting of Third Paradise postcard and t-shirt, who donates 500 euros will receive a ‘special kit’, also including a set of Third Paradise products, who donates 1000 euros will receive one of Michelangelo Pistoletto’s books or catalogues in addition to everything else.
Other ways to contribute
“Let your friends and acquaintances know of this campaign – we read on the campaign page – and share your contribution on social media using the tag @cittadellarte and the hashtags #proteggicittadellarte and #cittadellarte”.